Thursday, March 28, 2013

keep calm craft on

Yesterday my middle child had a "mental health" day off school, and she spent the afternoon starting a toy elephant. The elephant is a project often done in Steiner schools here in Australia to compliment the Ancient Indian epoch the children are immersed in.
We had such a blissful time, me finally getting around to fixing up my Steiner/Waldorf craft scrapbook and lending a helping hand and my girl patiently going through the steps of making an elephant.
I felt our afternoon working side by side was very special, and to me was a clear reminder of what parenting and creativity is all about for me. I didn't really get much "done", except a bit of pasting, but my girl was very pleased with the time with me, and her progress with her pink Elephant.

Lately I have heard a lot of conversations around motherhood and creativity, about "having it all",  living your creative dreams, earning a living from said creative dreams... In fact I've heard so much of this talk that I have started to feel unsettled, anxious even, questioning my choice to stay home with the children full time, questioning my own validity as a creative soul. Should I be doing more, working on big projects, earning more, making more....

And I've had a few thoughts:
For me, mothering is innately creative, probably due to the fact that children are innately creative. I am inspired by children and inspired to see them play, make things, hear them sing, marvel at their curiosity, marvel at how they grow and learn. I've also decided what I want most is to be around my children. I have a full time job. Mothering. There's not a lot of time (or energy!) for developing a career right now. And I'm okay with that.
I am also an intensely creative person. I knit ferociously, I obsess about colours, I sing, my kids sing, we make stuff. I guess we kinda bumble around in a bit of a creative mist.
Even though I may not be recognised as creatively "successful" by the outside world, an afternoon making things with my lovely daughter felt like a real moment. And validation that our small creative path in the domestic sphere is enough. It is special. That this is nourishing the world in a tiny precious unpredictable sort of way.
That's all I've got to say on the topic for now!
Hope you enjoy the snaps!





linking to
Nicole's Keep Calm Craft On

5 comments:

FrontierDreams said...

Brilliant! I have to say I personally agree with you 100%.I know the grass can seem greener on the other side at times (I think I go through that at least once a week!) but how wonderful for you to see what is best for you and your children. Oh and the elephant- adorable!!

Anonymous said...

Funny, I have been feeling the same lately. Although I have made my dream come true one one level, I feel immensely grateful for the years I have spend at home mothering. Yes, you can have it all probably, but one after the other....
I have wanted to spend my time at home with my children and have found my creativity whilst with them. And now that they are all at school, I can have a little bit more....
You can have it all, but that all is very personal and individual. The ALL is your choices!

Jo Windmill said...

I am so grateful, Alex, for your very thoughtful and excellent point. Yes, taking your time and waiting for things to unfold. Thank you so much for that your honest contribution.
And Nicole, thanks also for dropping by and leaving you encouraging comment.

Kirti said...

Ah my lovely you are one of the most creative, productive people I've ever known. Money would be great but it's not a true measure of worth. You just keep on doing your Good Thang Delilah. xxx

Kirti said...

Took me 4 goes to decipher the "I'm pretty sure I'm not a robot" quiz words.
Either I'm a robot or I need new specs...