Monday, February 25, 2013

One long thread...

Just about to finish the Griffin vest for Mr P and then it's onto a large version for my big high school chicken! (my ravelry link) I'm up to the final step, knitting the garter stitch along the neckline and hood edge. What a great, fun, clever pattern. Such respect for Georgie Hallam of Tikki knits.
And I found Knitting America  by Susan Strawn at the library on the weekend. It is the perfect "read" for me! Loads of historical photos of knitting ladies and children! What I love about this book is the feeling of being connected to all the women knitting in the photos. I can imagine their thinking, as they problem solve, or chat as they knit away together. I imagine their satisfaction at knowing their labour will be useful, will keep someone warm, perhaps will be treasured.  Here's a taste!
Sojourner Truth, 1864, women's rights and anti slavery activist
Elizabeth Zimmerman on the right! What a legend!







Joining Ginny for her Yarn Along

2 comments:

Kirti said...

what fantastic photos....knittin' and sangin', knittin' and sangin'....that's what it's all about....

Juniper Grace said...

This just made my day!