Monday, January 28, 2013

Mabel's Exercise Book Cover Tutorial!!


 

 
 You can cover any kind of exercise book, but the kind with hard covers work best.

Lay your book over the fabric you want. Cotton or linen works best.


 Leave a good size border around the book on all side and with your ruler draw a line for where to cut. We just use our eyes to judge how straight things are.

 Cut!

 Use your fingers to press an inner seam.

 Then fold over again, so the raw edge is hidden.
Pin and sew edges.

 Now do the same for the short edges. Fold over like before, pin and sew.

 Now, line up on the fabric and fold over the edges to make the envelop sides. 
Pin and sew!

 You now have a book cover! If you would like a piece of elastic to keep your book closed, just cut a length of elastic and sew it onto the very edge of the top and bottom of the back fold.


Add mushrooms, flowers or whatever else you can think of!! Hooray!!!
Now you have pretty exercise books for school!
And the best thing is, when you've used up your exercise book, you can take it out and put the cover on the new one!!
Have fun!

3 comments:

anna said...

Brilliant! As soon as my sewing machine is unpacked from storage and all set up, I think this will be one of the first things I make. I love the mushroom motif especially.

Jen said...

What a fabulous idea !!! Come to think of it, I use to do this back in the 80's with my books... clean forgot about it. THanks for showing how ! I love your little space here... I'll be coming by for visits more often.

Jen said...

What a fabulous idea !!! Come to think of it, I use to do this back in the 80's with my books... clean forgot about it. THanks for showing how ! I love your little space here... I'll be coming by for visits more often.